Monday, June 20, 2011

Connecting The Dots



I find archaeology, paleontology and any form of –ology that study our past intriguing. People who take on the role of finding artifacts, structures and bones are really trying to connect the dots. I know it is so much hard work but I bet it is so much fun and rewarding at the same time. I used to always want to be an archaeologist because I loved ancient civilizations and found them ever so interesting such as Babylonian, Assyrian, Pharonic, Roman, Mayan, Aztec to name a few. But after my Angel story, my path suddenly changed. This, however, did not deter my fascination with ancient history and walks of life. 

Yesterday, I watched a documentary on the Discovery Channel about a man who connected dots by scuba diving the sea in search of sunken ships and excavating their treasures from the deep blue. Besides finding amazing artifacts that were studied, dated and placed in museums, he said that his team’s finding have reaped many thanks and gratitude from other discoverers who were trying to connect dots, write history and figure out a certain connection or fill a missing gap or link on a time line.

It is amazing how one finding can help so many around the world discover more about Man’s past… our past….since I believe we are all connected in one way or another. I find our past so captivating. Something about it just pulls me in. I do not like the killing and the wars, but I certainly enjoy knowing how our ancestors constructed, developed, built and lived… their costumes, religious beliefs, arts and crafts, mode of transportation, rituals and ceremonies.

If we are so interested in our past and discovering what lies hundreds of feet under the land we stand on… do you think that the people who are born hundreds of years from now will be equally intrigued by us, the way we lived, our inventions and buildings?

2 comments:

Birdie said...

As you know I really enjoy genealogy. I wonder if my great x4 grandmother ever thought about all the generations that would follow after her. I wonder what it would be like to sit down with her and thank her for giving me life. And as I think of her, I think of my own great x4 grandchildren. I want them to know that I love them. (Maybe they will read these words!)
So, yes! One day people will look back at all of this. They will look back at our lives and read our blogs. Isn't that awesome!?!

Tabouleh said...

I love that way of thinking... thank you... I hope to live on through my children and their children just as my grandparents did through me.