Monday, July 16, 2018

You are Not Normal





“You are not normal,” he divulged. 

And a whirlwind of words blew through me, intertwined with questions. 

“What do you mean I am not normal? Why?”

“Normal, is like water. It is tasteless.”

“But normal is safe. Comfortable.”

“Exactly. It is boring. You are extraordinary and weird.”

I began thinking about the years that I have lived, the experiences that I have had and the lessons that I have learned. I learned so much just by being introduced to different cultures, trains of thought and personalities. I soaked in these life lessons with the help of nature, people, Art and Music. And now, I am changed. 

And in the end, I had to agree with him. Yes, I am not normal. And it is these experiences that have changed me. 

There were never mistakes that I could not learn from and become a humbler person. There were never happy moments that I did not cherish and become a more grateful person. There were never sad moments that I did not grieve and become a little wiser. 

These experiences were never just coincidences. They came at just the right time when I truly needed tweaking. When I needed an upgrade to the next version, a better version of myself. 

And now that I have thought about it, my next upgrade should be the removal of the forgiveness button. It should become obsolete in my system since forgiveness should flow through me without the reliance on an activation “button”. I need to learn to forgive myself without having to ponder for weeks and months about it. 

I might not be the best mom, the best wife, the best daughter, the best friend or the best teacher, but I must believe that I have a good heart and that my intentions are always kind, never malicious. I must learn to forgive myself more often and allow my wounds to heal without having to exert so much mental, emotional and physical effort.  

All the experiences that I have had should help me upgrade to this version. They should have taught me that we all make mistakes and that it is okay. 

I should never think of myself as normal anymore. And the best part of all this is, that my husband thinks I am extraordinary. 

YAAASSS! The potion must be working on him….. WAAHAAAHAAHAAAAA! 

1 comment:

Birdie said...

I am so glad to see a post from you!

I think it’s wonderful that you are not normal. We need more of you.